Setting Up Your Koinos Mining Node with a Kondor Wallet (Windows)

Setting Up Your Koinos Mining Node with a Kondor Wallet (Version 1.2 - 26/11/2022).

As a complete novice to mining I have compiled this guide to help others set up a mining node on the Koinos network when using a Kondor wallet. My PC runs on Windows 10 Pro. The minimum advised PC spec is:
Intel i5 or i7, 16GB memory, 1TB SSD (my dedicated mining PC is using a 500GB SSD).

Please note that after the first couple of steps. Your node will sync with mainnet. It took approximately 7.5hrs for my PC to sync with a block height around 500,000 blocks.

For all technical issues. Please get in touch with the very helpful developers on the Discord channel for Koinos.

01 You will need to install Docker. This can be downloaded from docker.com

You will also need to ensure your PC is using WSL2. Docker should alert you if you’re not using it. Information can be found on the following website for installing the latest version through Powershell:
Install WSL | Microsoft Learn

If your PC is not a dedicated machine and you intend on using it for other reasons. You may want to look at the following website for details on controlling the memory usage for WSL2, if it is noticeably affecting your PC: Taking Back Memory From Vmmem/WSL | BlogLogBlog

02 In your browser. Go to Koinos · GitHub
Click on the koinos link highlighted.
Github-01

Click on the green Code button and select Download Zip from the drop down menu.
Github-02

Once downloaded. Open the koinos-master.zip file and drag the folder directly into your C: drive using Explorer.
Go into the C:\koinos-master folder and locate the file named .env
Right click on the file and select edit. This will open the file in notepad.
Notepad-01

Change the top line to BASEDIR=c:\koinos save the file and then close it.
This will create a folder called koinos directly into your C: drive when you run your node.

03 Go to the Start button on your Windows taskbar and then type powershell. You will see the app listed at the top of the tab. Right click on the app and select Run as administrator.
Powershell-01

In Powershell. Type in the following command to enter the koinos-master folder:
cd c:\koinos-master (the command line should now show PS C:\koinos-master> ).
Type in the following command to start the syncing process:
docker-compose --profile all up

DO NOT close your Powershell window as this will stop your node.

If you open up the Docker app and click on the images link. You should see 11 files being installed:

In Powershell you should start to see block numbers appear in the list of code, similar to below.

The total number of blocks (Head Block Height) needed to be synced can be found at https://koinosblocks.com

Many hours later…

When you can see block numbers very close to the Head Block Height figure on koinosblocks.com, you’re synced!

For the next steps you will need the following pieces of information available to cut and paste:
Your Kondor wallet address that contains your Koin tokens.
Your public key which is found in C:\koinos\block_producer folder. Open the public file.

I would advise copying them both into a new text file so you can easily copy and paste them when needed.

04 Using the Chrome browser. Go to https://koinosblocks.com and click on the Contracts link, top centre.
Click on the address for POB this will take you to the proof of burn contracts page.

Connect to your wallet using the Connect Kondor link and follow the instructions in the pop up window.
Next expand the drop down menu for burn – Burn KOIN to receive VHP.

Your token amount is the number of Koins you want to convert to VHP to use for mining + 8 zeros:
e.g. 152 Koins will be written as 15200000000
10.12345678 Koins will be written as 1012345678

Paste your Kondor wallet address into the other 3 fields. Then click the blue unnamed button.
A pop window will ask for your Kondor wallet password then for you to sign the transaction.
If the web page says the action ‘timed out’. Just repeat the process populating the fields and submitting.

To check it has worked. Go to the home page and paste your Kondor wallet address in the search bar.
The account history should show a new transaction listed. Also, your Kondor wallet balance will have reduced accordingly.

Return to the POB contracts page and select the register_public_key – Register a block… drop down menu.
You may have to reconnect to your Kondor wallet.

Paste your details into the 3 fields as stated in red above. Then click the blue unnamed button.
If you search for your Kondor wallet address again you should see a new transaction added to your account history.

05 Go to C:\koinos in Explorer and right click on the config file and select edit.
Config

Change the line that says # producer: to producer: paste your Kondor wallet address here
(don’t type the actual words in italics). Save the file and close it.

You’re now ready to start mining.

06 Open the Docker app and click on the Containers link.

Click on the koinos-master bar to expand the contents.
Find the block_producer-1 and click the small square on the right to stop this action. You can immediately click it again to resume the action. This should ensure that you are now producing blocks.

How do I know it is working?

Go to C:\koinos\block_producer\logs in Explorer and double click on the 000 file to open it. There should be lines of recorded activity starting to build in this file similar to shown below. Each time you open the file you’ll see more added. A new log file is created for each day.

That’s it.

DO NOT close your Powershell window as this will stop your node. You can close your Docker app though.
You should see your Koin balance slowly increasing in your Kondor wallet as you mine each new block.

Burning more KOIN

If you want to increase the amount of VHP you are using. Repeat the first section of step 04: burn – Burn KOIN to receive VHP. You don’t need to stop the current burn process. You can paste your wallet address into the search bar on https://koinosblocks.com to see your total VHP available, along with Koin and Mana.

Switching off or Rebooting your PC

If you ever need to reboot or update your PC. You must stop your node first using Docker (Use step 06 but to stop the koinos-master). When your PC has powered up, repeat the start of step 03 to get your node running again.

1 Like